Brighton was established in 1832. The Brighton Hotel at the corner of Main and Grand River was the location of the election that officially gave Brighton the status of an incorporated village on March 25, 1867. A stagecoach en route from Lansing to Detroit – a four to six day trip at the time! - traveled through Brighton three times a week. By July 1871 the railroad had come to Brighton, which had a significant influence on the prosperity of the area, and by April 1881 the stagecoach lines were discontinued. Brighton became the second city in Livingston County in 1928, which gave them representation on the Livingston County Board of Supervisors and increased bonding capability for operational expenses¹.
Brighton is proud of its history and is home to the Brighton Area Historical Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation located at the CoBACH Center building, 202 W. Main Street (www.brightonareahistorical.com). All donations are tax deductible. Please contact the BAHS if you would like to join or make a donation.
¹ Excerpt from “From Settlement to City – Brighton, Michigan 1832-1945” by Carol McMacken. Also see “Images of America: The Brighton Area” by Genal Pratt with the Brighton Area Historical Society. Both books are available for sale at the Brighton Area Historical Society.